Skip to content

adw-charting 0.7

I finally got some time to employ the adw-charting library in my intranet app, and the increase in data sets revealed a lot of bugs.  Tonight I finally put together a release.

Some changes:

  • Pie chart slices are made much more intelligently, resolving some bad rendering with some datasets.
  • x-axis label locations are decided in a much more sane manner, and was reworked sans scotch.
  • if the x-axis label intervals are not sane, then you can specify what the interval should be with the new set-axis keyword argument, :data-interval.
  • the docs are updated to mention :data-interval and show an example usage.
  • Fixed a bug reported by Stuart Mackey with minimum x-values above 0.

So now I’m getting into several new territories:

  1. running an open source project
  2. coding lisp for performance

The first is pretty fun, really, everyone I’ve interacted with has been very helpful and reasonable.  There’s been a flurry of activity around lisp charting libraries, so I feel some sense of competition, but the big difference is I can incorporate someone else’s code to make my library better, which is pretty cool.  I’ve heard claims that open source is a way applying the scientific method to software, and (given the right licenses) that’s not too far off.  My next goal is to cannibalize cl-pdf‘s charting.  They have some niceness there that I might be able to toss in front of vecto and get a lot of nice features pretty quickly.

The second is a quite a bit more daunting.  Currently I cons an absurd amount to generate the example graphs (around 70MB for one graph), and I’d like to get that down a bit.  I’m going to setup some benchmarks and track some data on time spent and bytes consed, so I can tell if what I change is helpful.  I’ve been reading up on vectors and arrays, and will try to use those instead of lists where it seems easy.    The other thing I was thinking of was putting in some type declarations as a sacrifice to the compiler gods.

2 Comments

  1. Zach Beane wrote:

    cl-vectors conses a *lot*. I’ve mostly learned to stop thinking about it; if the code runs too slow, I try to profile and tweak, but I don’t do any optimization just based on the (admittedly alarming) consing statistics. So far everything has run acceptably fast.

    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 9:56 am | Permalink
  2. varcevanje za otroka naložba v delnice

    Monday, February 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink