Skip to content

clbuild on my eeepc

Today and yesterday I got my eeepc setup for lisp development, using clbuild to get all the dependencies resolved for me. After some trial and error, here were my steps:

  1. Added xandros repositories and repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list, set to have the same priority as the asus repository in /etc/apt/preferences
  2. The version of git in those repos is too old, so also add to sources.list:
    deb etch-backports main contrib non-free, then pin git-core in /etc/apt/preferences:

    Package: git-core
    Pin: release a=etch-backports
    Pin-Priority: 999
  3. Install tools clbuild needs: sudo apt-get install darcs cvs subversion curl cogito git-core sbcl
  4. Install clbuild: darcs get
  5. Make the script executable: chmod u+x clbuild/clbuild
  6. Get a recent version of sbcl: ./clbuild/clbuild buildsbcl
  7. Watch sbcl compiler output, speculate on what things like “(DEFINE-SOURCE-TRANSFORM LOGNOR ...)” might mean
  8. Give up on waiting for the sbcl to finish compiling, spend 6 hours at Nathan’s house for dinner, beer, and Rock Band.
  9. Get some basic libraries: ./clbuild/clbuild update --main-projects
  10. Compile slime: ./clbuild/clbuild build slime
  11. Load up emacs and slime to verify everything went smoothly: ./clbuild/clbuild slime

UPDATE: added bits about getting  a recent version of git installed, clbuild needs it for updating source directories after initial installation.  My repos installed 1.4.x, and that doesn’t seem to include git-config, nor set the remote.origin.url config value which clbuild depends on.  Once I got git 1.5.x, I downloaded the projects again, and now everything works fine. That took me approximately forever to figure out.

One Comment